How to Get Your Child a Passport

Posted by No Comment

If you’re planning on traveling abroad with a child (or multiple children), it’s possible that they’ll need to have their own passport (depending on where you’re flying to).

Getting your children a passport is a fairly simple procedure as long as you know what you’re doing.

As the parent or legal guardian of your child, you can apply for a passport on their behalf. That being said, when you present the application your child must be present with you.

The first step is to fill out the DS-11 passport application form.

What to Bring with You

Once you’ve filled out this application form, you can take it to one of the many passport offices in the US.

There are a few things you need to bring with you when doing this:

  • Your DS-11 Application form.
  • Your child’s birth certificate (or some other proof of citizenship).
  • Proof of your identity (such as your driving license or your passport).
  • Two identical regulation size passport photos of your child.
  • Enough money to pay for the passport application (Should be $85).


Who Needs to Go?

As I mentioned previously, your child must accompany you when first applying for their passport.

It is preferable for both parents to be there if possible, but if only one parent can make it than they must have a notarized statement of consent from the other parent authorizing their child to have a passport.

Alternatively, if you are a single parent, you must bring proof that you are the child’s only legal guardian (known as ‘proof of sole authority’). For more information on this, check out the US State Department’s website.

Lastly, if you are a third party applying for the child’s passport (i.e. you are neither parent), you may do so if you have a written notarized statement of consent from both parents. If the child only has one legal parent, you must also present their proof of sole authority towards the child.

Where to Get Your Child’s Passport

In the United States, there are over 6,000 different ‘passport acceptance facilities’ where you can go to get your passport. Click here to find the closest one to you.

Related posts:

  1. Can I Get Extra Pages Added to My US Passport?
  2. Air Travel for Unaccompanied Minors

Share this Article!