How to Get a UK Working Holiday Visa

Posted by No Comment

The EU (European Union) allows people from all over Europe to come and live and work in the UK without any sort of special visa.

But what if you want to work in the UK and aren’t from a country within the EU?

The UK working holiday program (known as the ‘youth mobility scheme’) allows young people from around the world access to a UK working holiday visa – allowing them to live and work in the UK for a period of up to two years.

Getting a UK working holiday visa is a great way for non-Europeans to mix up the travel experience, as it allows you to completely immerse yourself in the culture of the UK.

Spending a couple of years in the same place really allows you to soak up the atmosphere and get a sense for the people. As you live and work in foreign country you’ll make life-long friends and have experiences most people will never have access to.

Who Can Apply?

Union JackAs I mentioned previously, the youth mobility scheme allows you to take a working holiday in the UK, and is designed for people aged 17 to 30 years of age.

With this scheme, you’ll be allowed to stay in the UK for up to two years, and during this time you can live and work (and pay taxes) as a UK resident would.

After these two years are up, you cannot renew this visa. This doesn’t mean you can never live in the UK again – just that you’re unable to re-apply for the youth mobility scheme.

Anyone from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Monaco and Taiwan can apply to the UK working holiday scheme.

But what if you’re not from one of these countries?

If you’re a citizen of a country within the Commonwealth, and one of your grandparents was born in the United Kingdom, you should qualify for a UK Ancestry Visa, which is a renewable work visa that lasts for 4 years.

How to Apply for a UK Working Holiday Visa

To apply you’ll need to contact the British High Commission in your own country (this can be done online).

Note that getting a visa can take a long time, so be patient and plan in advance.

For more information regarding UK working holiday visas, check out the UK Government Website.

Related posts:

  1. Working While You Travel – How to Find a Job on the Road
  2. Cruise Ships, Yachts and Driving – How to Get Paid to Travel (By Working Your Route)
  3. A Quick Guide to Travel Visas

Share this Article!